To Mar Saba: a poem
Contributed by Toine Van Teeffelen on 24.05.2006:
1. I long to see the shrines and graves
My soul journeys with the monks
Shrouded by the silence of the night
and the wonder of prayer!
2. The Monastery remains, the “towers”
remain, gracefully facing the sky.
Our eyes gaze, our memories go
back to the ancient history.
3. Ancient is your history, Mar Saba,
uniting the present with the past
“They remember you, looking at
you lain in your beautiful coffin.”
4. The skulls remain, whispering,
The Soul of God their creator, hovers
hovers around the deserted Monastery
blessing the prayer of his monks
Kissing the earth which carries
5. My soul longs to see you,
to see them,
Promising to go back, to God,
New York 22/7/1975