Tel Dothan (Jenin)
Contributed by This Week In Palestine on 26.09.2006:
Tel Dothan (Dothan mount) lies to the east of the Nablus-Jenin road, overlooking the Arrabeh plain on the east, one of the most fertile lands in Palestine. It is considered by historians to be the site of a city, particularly due to the regular water source there mentioned in Aramic sources as one of the sites that the Aramians took over. In Greek and Roman sources it is referred to as Dothian. Excavations in the years 1953 – 1960 showed that the mount was a site for human settlement during the late bronze-stone age, while the remains of a city with a strong and strategic wall was confirmed during the early bronze age. One of the most important findings are a series of historic cemeteries where more than 1000 pieces of pottery were found from the late stone and early and middle and late bronze ages in addition to uncovering a number of roads and other archaeological findings. The area of the Tel is estimated at 60 Dunums and it lies at 320 meters above sea level. It is a rocky Tel partially planted with fruit trees. Some historians and researchers believe that there is a close relation between Tel Dothan and the religious story in the Quran and the Torah concerning the prophet Joseph when his brothers threw him down a deep well which is believed to be the “Hafeera” well on the south western side of Tel Dothan. The well still exists nearby the old trade route linking Syria with Egypt and which during the Byzantine period became known as the Holy Christian pilgrimage route.
This Week in Palestine