return to normal view
Milk Grotto - Outdoor View
return to normal view
 
Copyright (2006) Marc Nakleh
 
A legend recalls how Mary spilt some milk while breast feeding Jesus, thus turning the stone of this cave a "milky white" color. The present building around the Grotto was put up by the Franciscans in 1872, though some of the old church mosaics and traces of original walls remain to this day. The powdery white colour of the rock is evident to this very day.

The Grotto of our Lady can be found southeast of the Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem and for long centuries has been a traditional devotional site.
 
return to normal view