Home >Places & Regions >Place Descriptions >The History of Nablus
 
Login
email
password

users currently online: 7

arrow Home

arrow Your Personal Page
arrow People
arrow Places & Regions
Place Descriptions
arrow History
arrow Culture

arrow Community Resources
arrow Photography - local
arrow Photography Diaspora
arrow Audio

arrow Our Partners
arrow About Us
arrow All Recent Entries
arrow Message Board
arrow Newsletter
arrow Newsletter Archive

arrow AEI-Open Windows

Place Descriptions

sorted by

Showing 1 - 20 from 59 entries

> The Hebronite Spirit of Enterprise
> Nablus Revitalised
> Sebastia
> Dayr Tarif
> Ramallah: Palestine’s Bustling Metropolis
> Stroll along Ramallah’s Main Street
> Nightlife in Ramallah
> The Bethlehemian Smile
> Nablus: The Uncrowned Queen
> From the Ottomans to Modem Times
> Ancient Bethlehem
> Beit Sahour
> The Site of the Town of Bethlehem at Its Earliest...
> The History of Nablus
> Nablous
> ZABABDEH
> The Samaritan Creed
> The Samaritan Diaspora and the number of Samaritans
> The Minerals and Climate in Samaria
> The Nature of Samaria
  page 1 from 3
The History of Nablus
   
submitted by Turathuna Bethlehem University
23.01.2007

In 1184 Saladin occupied Naples for two days. This was in a manner of speaking the dress rehearsal for the final sack: after the defeat of the Crusaders at the battle of Hattin in 1187, Saladin took possession definitively of the city, and sacked it without mercy. A foray of the Crusaders in 1242 modified the situation for all too short a time. From then onwards Naples, which had become Nabulus or Nablus, has remained in Moslem hands.

In 1244 hordes of Khwarismian Turks, who had spread over all of Palestine, struck a heavy blow to Nablus too. Despite this, no-one thought to fortify the city, and in 1283 Burchard of Mount Sion calmly observes that if the enemy enters by one gate all that remains for the inhabitants is to escape by the other.

Nablus is acknowledged as a possession of the Sultan of Egypt. The treaty was to last 10 years, 10 months, 10 days and hours.

In 1300 ed-Dimasqi wrote: "Nablus looks like a palace among gardens. God has graced it with the blessed tree, the olive. It exports oil to Egypt, Syria, and the Hejaz and to the deserts for the Bedouins".

Thus Nablus went on living more or less prosperously, and became one of the strongholds of Islam in Palestine. In 1644, disguising his sorrow with humor,. du Kozel remarked that "les mosquees sont quasy toutees faictes d'esglizes".

When Selim I, the Ottoman sultan of Constantinople, took possession of Palestine in 1517, the Moslem inhabitants of Nablus never stopped giving trouble to the pashas of Damascus and Acre, whose administration they were under. In 1834 they also rebelled against Ibrahim Pasha, Mohammed All's son. Mohammed Ali made a surprise attack on the town, sacked it and had the sheikh Kassim Ahmed and his four sons put to death.

Nablus witnessed a violent battle at the end of World War I: on September 21, 1918, the French got the better of the Turko-German garrison. During the first days of June, 1967, after putting up a good resistance, Nablus was conquered by the Israelis.

Nablus' tormented existence was made even more difficult by the earthquakes. Besides the quakes of 362 and 747, and the ones that had troubled the Crusaders, there were very violent earthquakes in 1201 when the city was virtually destroyed, in 1837 and, lastly, in 1927, after which the town centre was practically all rebuilt.

At present Nablus is a small town, part agricultural and part commercial. The most important products of the fields are oil and cereals. The local small industry produces wooden and metal furniture, matches, soap and confectionary. These two have a long tradition behind them. Ed-Dimasqi writes: "They make the Raqqi soap which is exported to Egypt, to Syria, to the Hejaz, into the deserts and to the islands of the sea of the Rums". Ibn Battutah (1304-1356): "They make carob jelly, called Halua, exported to Damascus and other cities". On the outskirts of the town there are many gardens full of jasmine and roses, with which scents are made.

Source: "Samaria" by Maria Petrozzi

email to a friend print view